First Time "Sundancing"

There's something so comforting about films. Regardless of my mood, where I'm at, or the situation I'm in, I can always find a film to watch. They're always there, making my mind wander from my homework, or allowing me to fully appreciate my break. As Sundance came around this year, I was very keen on going. Year by year, I see it come to Utah. Year by year, I see it leave. I know so many people, including my parents and brother, who have gone to see varying Sundance films, yet I had not yet had this experience. I decided that this year was the year to go. As soon as I learned the festival was back in town, I quickly jumped onto the Sundance page and began to browse through the films. I ended up opening every film that had an interesting title and/or picture. Not the best idea... but turns out that it actually worked. One that particularly caught my attention was of two young blonde individuals, a boy and a girl, gazing intently at one another, with the title "Lasting." I saw that it was in Polish and Spanish, which obviously lured me even closer into finally making the decision of texting my friend about it. Luckily, there were still tickets on sale for the venue in Salt Lake City... but they were on a Wednesday night, at 9:45. Hope inching through my finger tips as I typed, I finally formulated a message to send to my friend pertaining to the watching of this film. She quickly responded "sounds great," and I was off to buy the tickets.
Our view in the crowded theatre.
The film, it's Polish title being "Nieulotne," is based on a young Polish man and woman who fall in love while working their summer jobs in Spain. A heart-wrenching situation forces the boy to return to Poland, the girl soon to follow. As secrets unfold, their love is at stake, but as the title may suggest, their love truly is lasting and eventually overcomes all obstacles. I adored the movie, and I suggest it to everyone. Great movie, and a fantastic first experience at the Sundance Film Festival. 

No comments: