The City of the Lion

The City of the Lion... León. Actually, the city of León has nothing to do with lions, but I was too tired to think of another thing to call this post. Anyways, my adventures outside of the province of La Rioja end with this post, for the time being. The final city we visited before coming back to Calahorra was, as you have probably already guessed, León. Out of all of the cities and villages I have seen thus far in Spain, León was by far my favorite. I don't know if it was the abundance of flower-filled porches or the captivating gothic cathedral situated in the middle of the city, but there was definitely something about the city that made me absolutely love it. Truly, we didn't explore León to a great extent. We only saw the cathedral and walked around a bit, eating some more tapas/pinchos and other goodies. Because of this, I don't have much to write, but as always, I have pictures upon pictures.
The cathedral

The Virgin situated right above the altar
Another POV of the cathedral: from the courtyard

Waiting for tapas...

Yes. Food.

León at night.

If I ever have a tiny porch, I'll ensure that flowers waterfall down from it
Two more little things: a delicious pastry shop and the oddest bubble tea I've ever had. Because the hotel offered no breakfast nor did we have any form of a kitchen in our room, we decided to eat breakfast at a pastry shop called Canela. Absolutely delicious breakfast. Then after our tour of the cathedral, I ran to a fro-yo shop that also had bubble tea because I was dying to show bubble tea to Cristina and her family. 

For those of you who aren't familiar with bubble tea, it's a drink that originates from Taiwan and is often a herbal tea (or fruit juice) mixed with milk with the addition of little tapioca balls. 

Yet... what I thought would be some good old homey bubble tea turned out to be a bit... peculiar? I mean, don't get me wrong, it was really really good, but it just didn't taste like bubble tea. What I ended up ordering, with the help of the cashier, was a "bubble tea" with a base of green and jasmine tea, a flavor shot of mango, and "bubbles" with the taste of passion fruit.

Our breakfast.

Bubble tea on the streets of  León

No comments: