Made in Poland

As I was scribbling some made up answer about the effect of the trusts on J.P. Morgan's power in my AP US history class, my phone buzzed. I glanced at my it's lock screen, a friend and I standing in front of a baby pine with little colorful ornaments dangling from its branches. The text flashes on the screen. "Sto lat z okazji imienin," translating to "happy name day." Name day... a little known thing in the United States. Based off of the name of your saint, every individual has a so called "name day" or "saint's day." In Poland, one's name day used to be more significant than a birthday. There would be a party, presents, everything usually seen at a birthday here in the states. Yet actual birthdays would be small occasions with a minuscule gift or two and a couple of wishes from close family members. With a wave of modernization spreading through Europe, this tradition is no longer as strong. Name days are still celebrated, but birthdays have become much more significant. Ever since I was little, having grown up in the states, a birthday has always been a more "important" thing in my eyes, yet my parents have never forgotten to celebrate a name day. Today was mine, January 9. I leave you with the dinner of my choosing for the evening, naleśniki. 



Naleśniki z serem. 

No comments: